Sunday, July 24, 2011

Blueberry Muffins

Is there anything better in the summer than home-made blueberry muffins? No. There isn't.

Tonight me and kid #4 made our first batch of blueberry muffins this summer.  I usually only let one kid at a time help me when I bake to cut down on fights and messes and to sneak in a little alone-with-mommy time.

With my large family I always double (or triple) recipes, but since I was experimenting with making the muffins super healthy I wasn't sure how they'd turn out so we only made a single batch.

I should have made more. Half of my super healthy blueberry muffins are already gone!

Jennifer's Whole Wheat BlueBerry Muffins  

1 1/4 C quick oats *
1/2 C all purpose flour
1/2 C whole wheat baking flour**
1 T baking powder
1/4 C brown sugar
1/2 C unsweetened natural applesauce
Squirt of local honey ( I have no idea how much honey I put in, I just squirted some out)
1 1/2 C fresh blueberries

Mix all dry ingredients together then add in the wet ingredients. Fold in blueberries. Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes.

* The only oats I had in my pantry were Steel Cut Oatmeal not quick oats. They give the muffins a unique little crunch and are really good!

** I usually don't have good results when I use only whole wheat baking flour as opposed to half whole wheat and half white flour. I'd really like to get rid of the white flour altogether. Anyone have any suggestions?

2 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy.....you should bring some to Yoga in the park. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. yow, mama! bring on the blueberry muffins! :D

    ReplyDelete