Friday, May 18, 2012

Momma Heart

My momma heart is heavy tonight. Each of my three teen boys are facing some battles and disappointments and there's nothing I can do about it.

Neither of the boys are guilty of anything except growing up. And growing up involves some tough life lessons:

  • Life isn't fair
  • People aren't always honest
  • Bad things happen to good people
  • Sometimes dreams don't come true

Tonight I'm just their mom. I'm old and I can't possibly understand what it's like to be 13, 15 or 17 years old.

Except I do. And I am old enough that I've been through all those life lessons - usually more than once - and I know that:

  • Life isn't fair - but hard work does eventually get rewarded. Sometimes the reward isn't what we expected, but it will be what we need when we need it. 
  • People aren't always honest - but I've found that most people actually are quite honest. And in times of great need even strangers will step up and lend a hand.
  • Bad things happen to good people - and there's not always an explanation for it. Being mad at the injustice takes energy away from loving the good person through their bad time or remembering them after they are gone.
  • Sometimes dreams don't come true - but new dreams are born that you can't yet even begin to imagine.

I know my boys don't believe me tonight, but they will make it through this and someday their heart will ache as their children have to learn these lessons themselves.

1 comment:

  1. beautifully said.
    somehow I have been remiss in reading your writings... but timing is everything. nathan is struggling... and sometimes, all I can do is hug him.

    ReplyDelete