Thursday, August 8, 2013

Life Lessons

I have the privilege of having a very young staff. The youngest is 19 and the oldest is all of 23. So to my middle-aged self, they are quite young. Most of the time they are enjoyable, and sometimes, well, they remind me I'm glad I'm not 20 anymore. As their boss, it's my job to remind them there is a time to to work and a time to goof around. They are young and they are learning what it means to be professional. If nothing else, I hope I can mentor them in becoming women of confidence and integrity.

I've come to realize though they see me as more than their boss. I'm their mom, their friend, their confidant. I don't just call them my staff, I call them my girls. They tell me things they don't tell their own mom, and I've told them things I wouldn't tell my own children! Often times I'll say "pay attention, this is an important life lesson." Not surprisingly, they then roll their eyes just like my own real kids do.

So today when one of my girls texted me her latest boy issue, I wasn't sure whether to wear my mom hat? My friend hat? Or my mentor hat? This definitely called for a life lesson response.

I typed back what I've learned to be true:

Go. 
Be young and carefree. 
Drink, laugh and dance.
Get naked.
Grab hold of love and chase after lust.
Take advantage of youth and live your life now.

But get your ass back to work soon.

Hopefully it's a lesson they will remember.





No comments:

Post a Comment