Thursday, October 27, 2016

It's Happening. I'm Getting Older. And I'm Eating More Donuts.

Do you ever have those moments where you just think, "Wow, how did my life end up here?"

I've had many of those moments these past few years. But last night's moment was a bit different.

Picture it: 11:30pm in the not nicest part of downtown Memphis. A slight drizzle. A bit of a chill. Dressed up more than I've been dressed up in a long time. With my best gal pal on our first girls night out in well over a year.

We had been to the Orpheum Theater to see Jersey Boys. We loved the show but when it was over we weren't quite ready to go home. To our right, just one short block away, was the entrance to Beale
Street.

We looked to our right. We looked at each other and silently shared the collective memories we have of too many, too-late nights dancing, drinking, and ... other stuff on Beale Street.

Nah.

We both decided we just didn't feel like Beale Street was our thing anymore.

But we weren't ready to go home.

And I'm not even sure how it came up. But somehow I mentioned I had never had a Krispy Kreme donut. My BFF was shocked. She felt like she had let me down in never taking me to the Krispy Kreme experience. After all, I take her to Broadway shows, the least she could do is reciprocate the excitement.

She pulled up her Krispy Kreme app and off we went in search of the HOT NOW sign.

And that's how we ended up in a not very nice part of town at 11:30pm eating ourselves into a sugar coma.

And that's when I realized a night on Beale Street no longer seemed like fun to me.

And, that means, I'm getting older.

And, you know what? I am OK with that.



No comments:

Post a Comment