Friday, October 29, 2010

A Change Is Gonna Come

There’s something in the air, a sense that something is about to happen –a shift, a change in my reality. I don’t know what it is and that both scares and excites me at the same time.

Yes the seasons are changing. The weather has a chill, the leaves are falling and the plants are no longer blooming. But it’s more than that. And I think others are sensing it too.

The dogs are running around like they are on puppy crack and when they do settle down they sit at the windows with the their head hanging on the windowsill staring outside. Just looking. Like they too are waiting for something.

When I shared a dilemma with a trusted confidante I was told I need to either get on the bus or get off the bus. From the depths of my soul I was screaming let me off this bus. Yet no sound escaped me. Yet.

Quite a few people have asked me lately what’s wrong with me? I don’t know. I just feel – well I’m not even sure what I feel. Antsy. Anxious. Yet at the same time I feel calmer and more settled than I have in a long time.

It’s been a struggle for me lately to get my cardio workouts in. But my yoga home practice has become easier, more necessary and more comforting to me. My morning meditation – which used to be just a someday I’d like to do that idea – has become more of a reality.

Seal’s version of the song A Change is Gonna Come has always been a favorite of mine and it’s on one of my favorite yoga playlists. I haven’t played it in class in a long time though because every time I hear it now I get emotional.

There’s been times I thought I wouldn’t last for long
Now I think I’m able, able to carry on
It’s been a long, long time comin’
But I know a change’s gon’ come, oh yes it will

I don’t know what the universe has in store for me. I’ve been walking through a forest for a long time now, and I’m finally starting to see some light through the trees up ahead.  I may get sunburned, but I believe I need to take the chance that instead I will bask in the warmth and glory.



If you haven't heard Seal's version of this old Sam Cooke song, you've got to take a listen. The man's voice is amazing, and well, he's not hard to look at either!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKV4UD0GQeE


2 comments:

  1. Funny you should write this article. This very issue was discussed after my yoga class the other night. No one can determine what the "feeling" is, but we're guessing it is a change around the corner...good post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Change can be scary....but necessary to grow. Glad that you are using yoga to help ground and calm you. Looking forward to seeing what your next grand adventure will be..... Love your blogs....very inspiring...

    ReplyDelete