Friday, November 11, 2016

Thank You Madame Secretary

As protests happen around the country tonight, some with small pockets of violence erupting, I instead sat in my local Starbucks, ear buds in, and participated on a call with Hillary Rodham Clinton thanking me and her many supporters.

She spoke with dignity and class.

In her words:

It's been a rough few days. Take some time for yourself now. Walk your dogs. Breathe.
I hope when you are ready you will regroup and continue the cause. Because the causes that brought you all together are just as important now as ever.


She reminded us that we are on our way to winning the popular vote, and that "speaks volumes".

But still, it's been an unsettling few days for me. I live in an area where I am the democratic minority. I have very few local friends to talk to about the election.

My Facebook feed is filled with gloating, examples of hate crimes across the country and all kinds of divisive behavior. I've tried to take a social media break from a lot of it.

I know these next few months, and the next four years, are uncertain. I take solace in knowing that I voted my conscience. And I now have a new and better understanding of the need to be an informed voter and to vote in not just the big election, but in the midterm elections as well.

I think this experience has awakened a desire in me to become more politically active in the future.



5 comments:

  1. Good for you. I need to do the same in terms of local elections.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What will you do to become more involved? One of my son's friends ran for a city position. She lost, but is now intent to continue with politics in some way, because it's important to her to accomplish what she was trying to accomplish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry you have experienced such bad things online. I have noticed it in my Twitter feed too. Bloggers who I liked and respected tweeting the most horrible things. Even though I'm from South Africa.

    It is great that you want to keep true to your own beliefs and even fight for them. It is important to know what you stand for.

    Wishing you well, Jennifer. Thank you for all your support. Remember, I'm always here for you, no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Seriously? My feed is the opposite--filled with all the rage and depression, so much so that I had to start hiding people because I didn't want to fall into a mood. It was definitely an interesting election and is going to take some fall out for both sides to come to terms. Here's hoping we get there sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is going to seem odd (and I don't recommend it), but today I sat and watched live news coverage from 9-11. It's all over YouTube. People kept saying this was the "worst thing to happen since 9-11" and watching the footage reminded me that this pales in comparison to 9-11. And also that we SURVIVED that, even though it seemed at the time like we wouldn't.

    ReplyDelete