Sunday, December 13, 2015

Of Atoms And Stories #Reverb15



Muriel Rukeyser once wrote: The Universe is made of stories, not of atoms. And I could not agree more. Our stories are our own but, in sharing them, they become universal. And timeless. 

What stories touched you this year? Which stories of your own are you glad you shared?

2015 has been the year I finally told my story.

It's the year I published my book Creating A Joyful Life: The Lessons I Learned From Yoga & My Mom. It's also the year I finally told the story of my abusive marriage. And, it's the year I finally told the story of living in a family of addiction. And how addiction affects the whole family.

My story has been met with criticism, denial and even some who have tried to discredit me and call me a liar.  But, it's also been met with the tears and gratitude of those who believe me, because they too are living my same story.

Over and over again I hear people tell me they thought they were the only one, that no one else understands, that they feel so alone. I get it. I also have felt so alone. For many years I was afraid to speak up because no one would believe me. And I was too ashamed to admit the truth.

So, in silence, I suffered.

It's sometimes tough to write the truth, and even more difficult to allow it to be published knowing the anonymous Internet trolls are there waiting to tear me (or anyone) down. But I can't suffer in silence any more. I have to speak up to try to save not just my family, but myself as well.

Writing my story has helped to heal me.

By writing my story, I've given a voice to so many more people out there trying to save themselves as well.

And that is why I will continue to write. 

This post is part of #Reverb15, a series of daily writing prompts found at Kat McNally Words To Soothe The Weary Soul. 

No comments:

Post a Comment