Monday, November 1, 2010

Karma Yoga - Yoga In Action

So many people I know, myself included, struggle with food issues. Too much sugar, too much fat, too much, too much, too much. We simply have access to and eat too much food. The reality is though, there are people who don't have access to enough food and don't have enough to eat.

This month all YogaLifeWay classes will be an opportunity to practice Karma Yoga. We will be collecting non-perishable food items to be donated to Millington's First United Methodist Church Food Bank.

This past spring's devastating floods in our area brought back memories of five years ago when I evacuated Hurricane Katrina. Although my house and my family were safe this time, I remembered how I felt then and how dependent we were on the kindness of strangers. I had to do something to feel useful.

Kid #6 sorting beans at
the food bank
So me and my youngest  took an afternoon while everyone else was at school and volunteered at our local food bank. While we were there, we watched quite a few families come through
and accept bags of food. I wondered if it was the floods or something else that brought them to a point where they needed help to put dinner on the table. The reason didn't matter, I knew all too well there but for the grace of God go I.

I remembered how I was embarrassed to be standing in a FEMA aid line five years ago, like I didn't deserve this. Does anyone deserve to be homeless or hungry?

I don't live in a poor neighborhood. I live in a nice house in a nice town and can afford to eat what I want when I want. It's easy to forget how truly blessed I am.

My desire is for  YogaLifeWay classes to be more than just a place to get our yoga bliss on. I'd like it to be a place where we who are blessed can gather and put our yoga into action. Help me start YogaLifeWay Karma Yoga this month. I'm asking everyone to bring non-perishable food items to any class this month to be donated to our local food bank. As an added bonus, anyone who donates 5 items will be eligible to win free cool yoga gear.

"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." Dalai Lama





No comments:

Post a Comment