Friday, December 6, 2013

Books: #reverb13 Day 6

What was a favorite book that you read this year?

Any genre, any author, any subject. Or—choose up to five, if it’s too impossible to narrow it down to a single volume.*
Looking back over my Kindle, there wasn't any one book that grabbed me especially hard this year. Probably because my time is so much more limited now so admittedly I'm not reading what would be considered great quality classic literature.

But I have read some good stuff this year:

1. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn - a suspenseful novel of a bad marriage and a woman on the run. I read it all in one weekend.

2. Heft by Liz Moore - a severely obese man becomes friends with the woman who was once his student. An unlikely friendship begins that is both heartwarming and heartbreaking.

3. Who Will Cry When You Die  by Robin Sharma - I'm not sure there is really anything original in this book, but he does a great job of breaking down the big picture into simpler 101 tips to living a happy, healthy life. It's an easy read that I keep around to pick up and review when I'm feeling I need to get myself back on track.

4. There's More To Life Than This by Theresa Caputo - Although I haven't yet blogged about it, a couple months ago I saw The Long Island Medium in Memphis. It was a very emotional night. That night and then reading her book have really helped me put to rest some of my questions and doubts about my mom's death. Whether you believe Theresa Caputo can really talk to dead people or not, the woman is funny and has offered healing to many people.

5. Salt, Sugar, Fat by Michael Moss - If you've ever thought you were "addicted" to junk food, this book proves you right. The author traces the rise of the processed food industry and uncovers internal records that show the companies actually do use salt, sugar and fat to addict people.


This post is part of #reverb13, a series of daily writing prompts to explore the year passed and manifest the year ahead. This prompt was found on Elephant Journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment