Me: Yeah that would be fun!
Friend: OK I signed us up. We need to make a training plan.
Me: What? You were serious? Shit
So, yes, it's official. I am committed to the famous St Jude Half Marathon happening December 2, 2017.
My current training plan consists of:
- Ignoring the fact I've never run/walked more than a 5K
- Ignoring the fact that in the past 4 years I've had knee surgery and within the past 6 months a broken foot and multiple torn tendons and ligaments in that foot
- Repeatedly checking the calendar to count the number of available training weeks between now and December 2 (25 weeks that also include one week I will be out of town)
- Completed no extra walking except to sustain life and work obligations. For real. I haven't even met my FitBit step goal one time this week
- Intentionally not advertised my commitment all over social media the way the rest of my half marathon friends have done
- Adamantly remind everyone that does know I have registered, paid for and committed to the half marathon that I will in fact be walking the vast majority of the race
And finish like this:
As of now my goals are simple:
- Complete adequate and appropriate training
- Stay injury free
- Stay motivated
- Finish the race without being last or having the trolley pick me up to get me to the finish line