Friday, October 15, 2010

Cold Meds and 80's Movies


Last week most of my kids took turns with strep throat. The older kids mostly just wanted to be left alone in bed to sleep, while the younger ones still wanted mommy time.

When the kids are sick they want me to make them sick eggs – soft boiled eggs with white bread toast mushed together.  They want their own pillow to lay on the couch and they want mommy to hold them.

Now tonight it’s my turn to want some TLC. My throat hurts, my ears hurt, my nose is stuffy and my eyes are burning. Mom’s don’t usually have time to get sick, but it’s Friday night and I’m letting myself just rest. Everyone else in the house is on their own as I huddle back in my bedroom with my special comfort items.

1 – Starbucks Venti Calm & Refresh Mix Hot Green Tea. I don’t know what is so special about this tea, but I crave it when I’m sick. And it really does make me feel better.  Order a Venti hot green tea, one Calm tea bag and one Refresh tea bag. If you’re in Millington just tell them you want the Jennifer tea. They’ll know what you mean.

2 – Home-made chicken noodle soup. I had some in the freezer from a few months ago. Really, is there anything better?

3 – A two-sizes too big ugly orange sweatshirt. I’m not even sure where this sweatshirt came from. It’s too big, too old and too ugly. But I put it on and it keeps me warm.

4 – A red fleece YMCA blanket. I keep this blanket on the top shelf of my closet so no one else can use it. It’s my blankie.

5 – Any late 1980’s teen movie that I saw in high school. Tonight it’s Pretty in Pink. Here’s the YouTube link to my favorite part: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNGIg8f-0Wc

6 – And once the movie is over, I’ll take a shot of Nyquil and be off to slumber land. It makes my husband nuts that I don’t measure out the proper dose, I just chug what I think will do the trick.

My tried and true remedies for a mom’s cold - hot tea, warm soup, an ugly sweatshirt, a good movie, a comfy blanket and a little too much cold medicine. Really, is there anything better?

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you are getting some well needed you time. Hopefully you'll beat this thing before it gets bad. And EWWWW---you really didn't have to let us know about all the sick germs you are leaving while chugging your Nyquil and all the icky thoughts of back wash.

    Seriously hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete