Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Run Away Home

I was talking to my cousin and his partner last month. They've been together almost 20 years and since they first met they've had to deal with serious issues. Sick parents, cancer, more sick parents and more cancer. I asked him how come you guys haven't just run away yet?

"We think about it all the time!" he said.

Running away. Away from the hassle. Away from the drama. Away from the pain and sadness. Because there has to be something else right?

Am I alone in this fantasy?

The dog days are over, the dog days are done. Can you hear the horses because here they come.


The fantasy of just walking away. Maybe hopping a plane and landing in a new land with a new name and a new life.

Yes it means leaving behind the good I have now and those I love here. But out there is the promise of something new. Something different. The promise to be someone new and different. To reinvent myself.

Leave all your loving, your loving behind. You can't carry it with you if you want to survive.


But running away isn't really an option is it? And when do I know it's time to stop running?

Instead I lace up my sneakers, turn on the ipod, and start running. And when my foot that has been broken too many times starts screaming at me to stop, I always have my yoga mat to roll out.

Asana is the place to reinvent my body. Sun Salutations keep me moving and breathing. Meditation turns the inner screams to whispers, and then to contented breaths.

The yoga mat is my place to stop running away from life, and instead find a way to live this life.

(The lyrics are taken from my new favorite crank up the ipod 
and get moving song):

3 comments:

  1. Awesome song- so glad you posted. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hells Bells lady! Yes... I want to run away all the time, but I keep thinking that when I round the corner what we have to deal with is still there to meet us. Life sucks eggs sometimes but then others it doesn't. I guess we just have to breathe deeply, crank some rocking tunes and do whatever it takes to get through it. Sounds like you have a wonderful way of dealing with the stress.. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think all of us reach a point where we just want to walk away. not deal with the mundane boring life and be responsible for anyone or anything. you are definitely not alone in your desire. nor are you alone in your coping mechanism. yoga has been a great way for me to learn to embrace the everyday and i am so glad you have chose yoga as your escape rather than more damaging/addicting behaviors. xx

    ReplyDelete