Sunday, December 7, 2014

Selfie: #reverb14 Day 7

Please post your favourite picture of yourself from 2014, self-portrait or otherwise


After a day of biking through
New York City
Time for the annual selfie round up. This is actually a fun post to write because it's light hearted and reminds me there were many good times this year.

As I scrolled through my phone looking for which picture to use, one thing jumped out at me. All these pictures were taken when I was happy. The kind of living in the moment, fully present, no holding myself back, letting myself be happy kind of happy.

Black Light 5K
I need more of that kind of happiness in my life.

I need to let myself have more of that kind of happiness in my life.

My chiropractor says I should
lay off TRX training for a bit
because it's causing some shoulder issues.
Ha! My chiro thinks she's funny.
Another interesting thing I noticed is that in all of these happy picture times, I'm being physically active.

There is a scientifically proven link between being physically active and staying mentally healthy. I don't need the science to prove it. I know that when I am more physically active I am better equipped to keep depression away. When I'm physically strong I'm mentally strong.

And it's not even a vanity thing. If I take the time to sweat it out in the gym or flow through yoga, I'm more confident in all areas
of my life. I'm better equipped to handle the stress and uncertainty of being a single mom working two jobs.

Hiking the waterfalls in
Columbia River Gorge
Oregon
Other happy times are when I take a break from being the working too much, financially stressed single mom and get away for a bit. This year I was lucky enough to take a trip out to Portland. A week of sleeping, yoga, biking, hiking, eating healthy food, laughing and being pampered was what I needed to return refreshed and ready to continue on.

I don't get to travel as much now that my life is different than it was a few years ago. But the desire to travel is still there and still a priority. And one I plan on holding on to no matter what.

Finally, my favorite group selfie this year. It's another time I let myself forget the worries and just have some fun. I saved and scraped for a couple months to take me and the kids to the fair. At $10 per person just to walk in the gate and $20 per person to ride the rides, yes the fair involves pre-planning and saving.

As the Tilt-A-Whirl was spinning at dizzying speeds Kid 4 said 'hey give me your phone' and snapped this picture. I'll eventually be getting this enlarged and hung on our family wall in the living room.

Selfie on the Tilt-A-Whirl
Looking back, my iPhone captured quite a bit of happiness this year.


This post is part of #reverb14, a series of daily writing prompts to explore the year passed and to manifest the year ahead. This prompt was found at Kat McNally Words To Soothe The Weary Soul.


1 comment: